On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 11:25:26PM +0100, Richard Z wrote:
> I installed one example, looked at options/PILs. Then installed another
> example and somehow got the old page listing the PILs as they were in the
> old state.

This cannot be, as the installation of a new App happens only when PilBox is
stopped, and started newly with a new PIL (ZIP). Then there is no history yet
and no back button.

> By going to Settings it displays many languages.

Yes. This is the default set of language of PilBox itself (all that are in the
PicoLisp system).

> Going to settings from the calculator displays only 3.

Each PIL App may bring its own set of localizations (and should do so, as it
will have its own application-specific terms). In case of the calculator, only
3 languages were provided.

> Clicking that PIL triangle-icon gets me apparetnly "home" but clicking
> Settings now still displays only 3 languages.

The locale state is kept globally, in a file, so that after a user has set his
own locale it will be persistent.

As a consequence, each app that brings its own set of locales will modify this
global state, and it will remain until some other app with locales modifies it
again. The generic App (you called it "home") will not modify it, and apps
without own locales (as the "Hello World" example) will also not touch it.

Note that all this has nothing to do with the history "back" functionality.

> In the "Demo" app, text fields, alternately pressing the various tabs a few
> times and then back I would expect it to return one level back and not
> previously
> active tab.

This is not the case, as each tab is considered to be its own page. In the
PicoLisp GUI (@lib/xhtml.l) the <tab> function generates HTML links.

> Also after clicking around in the Demo app it becomes very slow to the point
> that I thought it stopped working - it appears like every page ever visited
> remains still active?

As I wrote in my last mail, the last 99 pages are remembered in the history.
This includes quite some data, the whole state of all forms, fields, buttons
and so on.

However, I cannot observe any slow down-here, even after very many clicks. I
haven't tested on 32-bit hardware though. The emulator is up to 20 times slower
than the native binary, are you using the arm32.zip plugin?