On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 04:02:44PM -0500, Lawrence Bottorff wrote:
> Could you point me to a beginner's treatment of this topic, especially an
> example of a graph database, and what exactly a picolisp pointer is?

Perhaps this helps? https://software-lab.de/doc/tut.html#ext

It is really very simple.

> I'm afraid I don't even know what you mean by a pointer in this context. I
> know from C what a pointer is, but a picolisp pointer is beyond my
> comprehension.

Exactly the same as C pointers. The 32-bit version of PicoLisp *is* even written
in C.

The external symbols *point* to each other when loaded inte memory, via
properties or arbitrary Lisp structures. And they are loaded *into* memory on
demand, implicitly when they are accessed (lazy loading).

The higher DB levels then implement entity and relation classes, B-Trees etc.,
all on top of external symbols.

☺/ A!ex