On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 01:11:56AM +0200, pd wrote:
> I've just installed picolisp in debian 10.10 (buster) using apt and got
> picolisp 18.12-1 i386
>
> picolisp tells version is 18.12.27 C but when running picolisp as:

Yes, this is an old version of pil32.

> pil @lib/vip.l +
>
> I get this error:
>
> [/usr/lib/picolisp/lib/vip.l:4]  !? (symbols 'vip 'pico)
> symbols --  Undefined

Hmm, yes, 'symbols' was implemented only in pil64, not in pil32.

> I think the problem is the picolisp package is a 32bit picolisp rather than
> 64 bits, in fact the picolisp executable is a 32-bit ELF,  but the package

Right.

> contains a src64 , so  can I build a 64bit picolisp from sources included
> in package?  if so, how?

In principle yes, but as Debian installed pil32 I suspect your *hardware* is 32
bit. If so, neither pil64 nor pil21 can be built and executed.

You could look at Andras Pahi's improvement of pil32 at
https://github.com/pahihu/picoLisp

If you have a 64-bit hardware, then forget pil64 and directly go to pil21 :)

☺/ A!ex