Jon~301 wrote:

> It's been 1 week i'm trying to install PIDA 0.5.1 on Mac OS X.
> I've tried a lot of possibilities :

currently there is no mac osx port, because no core dev owns a mac, but
we are highly interested in seeing one. However, it will be a challange
due the nature of design.

> (getting source from HG)
> (getting source from website)
> (install via MacPorts)

1. don't bother with 0.5.1, if you try to port use a trunk checkout :-)
there was some compatibily work going on recently.

> But these solutions fail when trying to build the moo_stub extension :
> ld: duplicate symbol __PyGtk_API in build/temp.macosx-10.5-i386-2.5/
> moo/moo-stub.o and build/temp.macosx-10.5-i386-2.5/moo/moo-pygtk.o
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> error: command '/usr/bin/gcc-4.0' failed with exit status 1

i don't know much about osx but there are some issue that need thinking
first. as much as i know there is a native gtk port and the old x server
based one.

• looks good
• feels native
• are there native python bindings availible ?
• embedding vim or other programs will be a challange. this will most
likely need some good c skills to find a way in the os x api to embed
other programs like the xembed protocoll
• medit may run

x server based:
• doesn't look that native
• maybe easier to use because long tested, pygtk is available
• medit may run more likely
• vim/emacs support is more likly to work

• textmate editor component may be cool, but a challange for both types

> However when I run PIDA, I get the first screen where I can chose
> between emacs and vim, then I get the spash screen "PIDA is
> starting... and it loves you !", and then NOTHING.
> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2 (2008 Aug 9, compiled Aug 18 2009 00:52:42)
> Unknown option argument: "--socketid"
> More info with: "vim -h"

what version are you using. is it a native os x i guess, this will not
work and needs porting, depening on the decision above.

if you choose to port to os x we will try to help you the best we can. i
would suggest you join the pida chat room, as this would be much easier
to help real time.

kindly regards

 To post to this group, send email to