Actually, their goal is the same: to analysis large volume of data based on
hadoop.  They both support UDF to extend its functionality. hive also
support plug-in map-reduce script.

I think the biggest difference is their script languages: pig use pig-latin
(maybe support sql in future) while hive use sql.

To me, I prefer the pig-latin, it's more intuitive especially when script is
a little long.