> Pig Latin is intended to be a language for parallel data processing. It is not tied to one particular parallel framework

+1

-- amr

Alan Gates wrote:
I agree with Milind that we should move to saying that Pig Latin is a data flow language independent of any particular platform, while the current implementation of Pig is tied to Hadoop. I'm not sure how thin that implementation will be, but I'm in favor of making it thin where possible (such as the recent proposal to shift LoadFunc to directly use InputFormat).

I also strongly agree that we need to be more precise in our terminology between Pig (the platform) and Pig Latin (the language), especially as we're working on making Pig bilingual (with the addition of SQL).

I am fine with saying that Pig SQL adheres as much as possible (given the underlying systems, etc.) to ANSI SQL semantics. And where there is shared functionality such as UDFs we again adhere to SQL semantics when it does not conflict with other Pig goals. So COUNT, and SUM should handle nulls the way SQL does, for example. But we need to craft the statement carefully. To see why, consider Pig's data model. We would like our types to map nicely into SQL types, so that if Pig SQL users declare a column to be of type VARCHAR(32) or FLOAT(10) we can map those onto some Pig type. But we don't want to use SQL types directly inside Pig, as they aren't a good match for much of Pig processing. So any statement of using SQL semantics needs caveats.

I would also vote for modifying our Pigs Live Anywhere dictum to be:

Pig Latin is intended to be a language for parallel data processing. It is not tied to one particular parallel framework. The initial implementation of Pig is on Hadoop and seeks to leverage the power of Hadoop wherever possible. However, nothing Hadoop specific should be exposed in Pig Latin.

We may also want to add a vocabulary section to the philosophy statement to clarify between Pig and Pig Latin.

Alan.