Yes, I already implemented the "NOT push down" upfront, so you do not
need to do that.

The support of CNF will probably be the most difficulty part. But as I
mentioned last time, you should compare the cost after the trimming CNF
to get the post-split filtering logic. Given the complexity of
manipulating CNF and undetermined benefits, I am not sure it should be
in scope at this moment or not.

To handle CNF, I think it's a good idea to create a new plan and connect
the nodes in the new plan to the base plan as you envisioned. In my
changes, which uses DNF instead of CNF but processing is similar
otherwise, I use a LogicalExpressionProxy, which contains a "source"
member that is just the node in the original plan, to link the nodes in
the new plan and old plan.  The original LogicalExpression is enhanced
with a counter to trace the # of proxies of the original nodes since
normal form creation will "spread" the nodes in the original tree across
many normalized nodes. The benefit, aside from not setting the plan, is
that the original expression is trimmed according to the processing
results from DNF; while DNF is created separately and as a kinda utility
so that complex features can be used. In my changes, I used
multiple-child tree in DNF while not changing the original binary
expression tree structure. Another benefit is that the original tree is
kept as much as it is at the start, i.e., I do not attempt to optimize
its overall structure beyond trimming based upon the simplification
logics. (I also control the size of DNF to 100 nodes.) The down side of
this is added complexity.

But in your case, for scenario 2 which is the whole point to use CNF,
you would need to change the original expression tree structurally
beyond trimming for post-split filtering logic. The other benefit of
using multiple-child expression is depending upon if you plan to support
such expression to replace current binary tree

in the final plan. Even though I think it's a good idea to support that,
but it is not in my scope now.

I'll add my algorithm details soon to my jira. Please take a look and
comment as you see appropriate.

Thanks,

Yan