+1

Backloading documentation is error prone and leads to not getting documentation done.

Alan.

On Aug 20, 2010, at 4:11 PM, Olga Natkovich wrote:

Guys,

After spending the last couple of days collecting information for Pig 0.8.0 documentation, I would like to propose a change for our patch process that would make my life easier :).

I would like to ask developers working on patches with new customer facing features or user visible modifications to the existing features to fill in the Release Notes part of JIRA as part of their patch submission process. The Release Notes section should contain all the information that would be needed to create user documentation including

-          Feature definition
-          Cases in which feature is applicable
- Notes indicating if this feature/changes to the feature breaks backward compatibility - Usage examples. (Please, make sure you actually run all the examples.)
-          Anything else that would assist users in using the feature.

I would like to ask the reviewers to review the Release Notes as part of their patch review process.

Please, let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Olga