Hi Marcus,

I think the confusion is not on semantics, but on the discussion level. I have absolutely no doubt that it is impossible to disable override of global identifiers by local identifiers in Pike as it currently stands. I fully agree with your reservations that this would create huge software engineering problems.

On the other hand, I have now been a member of the ECMA standardization committee for Eiffel for the last 5 years, and this language does not allow local identifiers to have the same name as global identifiers. The language was designed around that with very different namespacing rules and renaming possibilities when compared to Pike. So I had to object to what I perceived as "over-generalization".

Bernd
  • Rox... cschalkwijk
    • ... Martin Bähr
    • ... Bernd Schoeller