Martin Stjernholm,  Roxen IS @ Pike  developers forum wrote:
>Does the current export at srb's server correctly represent the
>7.4/7.5/7.6/etc branches? I haven't been able to go back to e.g. the
>7.6/7.7 split. Thought it would be possible using gitk.

That already is correct.

The branches are:
  0.5
  0.6
  7.0
  7.2
  7.4
  7.6
  7.7
  extra_tests
  nt-tools

There are tags for other old branches that never lived as separate
branches, e.g.:

v0
ulpc.old
ulpc
0.7
7.1
7.3
7.5

I.e. git log 7.5
shows the commit exactly prior to the 7.6/7.7 split.

>I guess a good start for a git export would be your svn export where
>you've sorted all that out. Just using git instead wouldn't magically
>make all those issues dissappear, would it?

I have used the blessed SVN export as a base, but it still contained numerous
errors which I had to fix (some missing files, CR/LF mistakes *including* in
binary files).  At the moment I consider the git repo to be more
accurate than the SVN export.  I will do an automated backcheck with
*all* CVS checkouts though, and find (and fix) all remaining
differences.

>Btw, I still haven't been able to get a good overview of the branches
>and how they connect to each other. Is there a view for that in gitk?
>(Or some other tool?)

gitk --all
or
gitk 0.5 0.6 7.0 7.2 7.4 7.6 7.7 nt-tools extra_tests
(provided that you created local branches for all origin/... remotes).

should go a long way.
However, for a more complete view, you need the rsynced version of my
git repo; since it contains the majority of the backports as merges.
Nevertheless, the git://git.cuci.nl/pike repository contains a lot of
backports and all branches in full correctly.
--
Sincerely,
           Stephen R. van den Berg.

"Even if man could understand women, he still wouldn't believe it."
  • Git Martin Bähr
    • ... Marcus Comstedt (ACROSS) (Hail Ilpalazzo!) @ Pike (-) developers forum
    • ... Martin Stjernholm, Roxen IS @ Pike developers forum
    • ... Martin Bähr