> Do you have some statistics on this?  I'd imagine that most time
> spent on comparising hash-hits would be on short to medium length
> strings, and not really long ones since it's unlikely you'll find
> another string with the exact same length in the hash bucket.

I do have some statistics from the Opera Mini servers.

We spent around 0.2% of the CPU time in string hashing before the
CRC32 change. After that we spend around 0.1%CPU time there.

Almost all time is spent traversing linked list, rescaling the whole
process to 100% gives 10% to crc32 and and 1.8% to the string
comparisons.

87% is spent in the has lookup + loop.
  • Str... Marcus Comstedt (ACROSS) (Hail Ilpalazzo!) @ Pike (-) developers forum
    • ... Per Hedbor () @ Pike (-) developers forum