The [type]p() functions all test the value in a variable, as does _typeof(),
which returns a type value:

> int|float x = 0.0;
> intp(x);
(1) Result: 0
> int|float x = 0;
> intp(x);
(2) Result: 1

> _typeof(x);
(3) Result: zero
> x = 1.0;
(4) Result: 1.0
> _typeof(x);
(5) Result: float

If you want to test the variable type, you can use typeof(), which returns the
type of a given something rather than the type of the thing it holds:

> typeof(x);
(6) Result: int | float

Type types are pretty interesting, but I’m not sure that there’s a good way to
express a type literal for use in comparisons. If, for some reason, you need to
see if a variable can hold a given type, you can do something like:

// can x hold a float?
> mixed y  = 1.0;
// note that we compare the variable type of x with the type of the value held
in y,
// that way we can change the value in y to test for different types.
//
// if we just wanted a static comparison, we could typeof() against a variable
of the
// type we wanted. Also, note that 0 gets a type of its own (zero)
> (typeof(x) & _typeof(y)) == _typeof(y);
(8) Result: 1

// can x hold a string?
> y = "";
> (typeof(x) & _typeof(y)) == _typeof(y);
(10) Result: 0

Maybe grubba can fill in any missing pieces (such as if there’s a way to create
type values directly).

Bill

> On Apr 8, 2018, at 10:59 AM, Lance Dillon <riffraff...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Just out of curiosity, how does intp() and such work.
>
> Say you have int|float x, then x=5.0.
>
> Does intp test the type of the variable, or the type of the contents.  Does
> intp(x) return true because x is of type int (also of type float), or false
> because the contents of x (currently 5.0) is float, so not an int at that
> point.
>
> I'm thinking contents, not variable itself, so you can do checks against it.
>

> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  • Int... Lance Dillon
    • ... Lance Dillon
    • ... Marcus Comstedt (ACROSS) (Hail Ilpalazzo!) @ Pike (-) developers forum