Yeah, it maybe wasn’t engineered this way, but we end up with a shell script
hidden in the source tree, depending on m4 you wouldn’t run at runtime. A
system subtle enough to run tests against the Pike binary you just compiled
instead of the installed one. A marvel for a Pike core hacker :)

Anyway, depending on m4 would disqualify any tool expected to be run on runtime
or end-user side.

As you suggest, providing testsuite files in the Pike module source code would
be the way to go. A pike -x something would make things easier, and a proper
CI/CD pipeline could handle the burden.

Bertrand

> On 8 Sep 2023, at 07:54, H. William Welliver <will...@welliver.org> wrote:
>
> Well, mktestsuite is just a shell script that runs m4. There isn’t anything
> that’s particularly “compile-time centric about it”. And certainly test_pike
> could be modified to automatically update the test suite file if needed.
>
> The m4 dependency means that you wouldn’t necessarily be guaranteed to be
> able to generate testsuites on any machine that merely had pike installed
> (Windows in particular comes to mind).
>
> If you’re distributing code as an archive, you could always generate the
> testsuite as part of the archive generation process.
>
> I use test suites to test some of my own code and while I use makefiles to
> automate it, there’s no reason it needs to be that way. Making test_pike
> regenerate the test suite if necessary would make it even more seamless.
>
> Even if test_pike weren’t modified to run mktestsuite when necessary, it
> might be nice if test_pike noticed that a testsuite.in had been modified and
> made a note of it in the output.
>
> Bill

  • Pik... Bertrand Lupart
    • ... Bertrand Lupart