Okay. Seems like we're getting there:

echo Lang: $LANG
echo Locale: $LOCALE
Lang: en_US.UTF-8
Locale:

make linker_options
sed: 1: "s@-L/usr/local/opt/ruby ...": bad flag in substitute command: '@'
echo /Users/mikekilmer/pike/build/darwin-22.6.0-x86_64/modules/Gmp/module.a  >
linker_options

So perhaps it is a SED error, but a different one than that linked in the issue.

echo $LDFLAGS
-L/usr/local/opt/ruby/lib -L/usr/local/opt/postgresql@15/lib
-L/usr/local/opt/icu4c/lib -L/usr/local/lib

On version 8, manually adding -lgmp to linker_options seemed to work, but on
version 9 not (maybe I'm doing something wrong this time).

This is what I have in Gmp/linker_options:

/Users/mikekilmer/pike/build/darwin-22.6.0-x86_64/modules/Gmp/module.a -lgmp

Same in modules/linker_options: