Hello,

On 2015-09-30 18:42, Federico wrote:

 if I use pilerimport from an external IMAP mailbox, does it retrieve
*every time* all the messages or it will keep track of the index
number of the already downloaded one? In other terms, the "de-duping"
is done before importing or after importing?

it's not deduping, rather keeping a history. By default pilerimport
downloads all emails, then discards already imported emails. However,
you may instruct it to start downloading (and archiving messages from
a certain position, ie. from the 1234th message.

 The behavior I want to reach is similar on what is described on the
Mailpiler Docs regarding Gmail, but my intent is with IMAP, where "the
importer script remembers the id of the last downloaded message, so it
won't download from the first message when it runs again." Does also
pilerimport behaves like that?

you may achieve something like that, see above.

 HERE is the description of my scenario:

 a) Mr.User has one IMAP account on an external server (we cannot
touch the config)

 b) Mr.User receives 500Mb of email every month in his mailbox, and
cannot delete it.

 c) Mr. User want to keep an archive for 5 years of his email, and the
mailbox is too small.

 He asked me to set-up MailPiler to put in the archive the email older
than 1 month, every month.

 Mr.User does not want Piler to delete imported mail from his mailbox.
He will manually delete periodically some old emails.

 I thought to do as follow:

 - standard deployment of Piler
 - deployment of a separate mailserver with one mailbox
 - use of imapsync to get the mail older than 1 month from Mr.User
mailbox and put to a local mailbox
 - crontab pilerimport to get mails from the local mailbox to Piler.

pilerimport may connect to the imap account directly. The only trouble
is that the current position is unreliable if Mr. User removes messages
on his own from the mailbox.

Another possible solution may be to use a 3rd party tool to fetch only
those messages from the imap account that need to be imported. Then
pilerimport may process the local folder.

I understand that you can't configure the remote server. However, is it
possible for Mr. User to setup a message rule to forward a copy of each
incoming email to piler (=arch...@piler.domain.com)?

Janos