Hey Kim,

I had a simmilar issue but with 1.3.4 filling up /var/piler/tmp
The solution for me was to compile piler-smtp from the master branch.
(piler-smtp - version : 1.3.5-pre1)

This directed me the right way, maybe you can see the same behaviour? :
https://bitbucket.org/jsuto/piler/issues/941/cannot-open-etc-hostsallow-too-many-open

Mario