>I am scanning some negatives right now and have noticed something that I
>haven't noticed before. . .

>When I do a quick scan at 100 dpi at 300%, it is sharper than scanning the
>same negative at 300dpi at 420%. Does anyone know why? I think it looks
>better (on my computer screen anyway) at the lower resolution. I haven't
>tried printing anything to see if there is a visible difference.

>Traci Bunkers
>Bonkers Handmade Originals

Hi Traci,

Without getting too deep into the technical reasons, the difference you are
seeing on your
screen is perceptual. While scanning an image at a higher resolution and
percentage will give
you more detail and thus an image with more "information", the same image
scanned at a
lower resolution will visually appear sharper because there are fewer pixels to
capture the
range of grays/colors in your image. In the lower res scan, the contrast
between light and dark
areas will be greater than an image that captures a greater range of tones, so
the image
appears sharper.

If your local library has a copy of Professional Photoshop by Dan Margulis,
check it out. It is a
little old at this point, but I learned a lot about professional quality
scanning and Photoshop as
they relate to printing digital images or optimizing them for web. I know there
are many other
competent books in print that cover these same topics, so you really can't go
wrong when it
comes to the basic principles.

Cary