Hi,
I'm new to the list here, and am wanting to build my first pinhole camera! I'm considering my first try at it by re doing a camera that i already have to get the feel of it. ( I do like the ideas here of making them out of various cardboard containers, and will try that after I get comfortable with the overall technique)
My question is in regards to the post below here.....
If I drill my own pinhole and want the smallest possible hole with the number 15 needle, do I understand correctly to just get the point through, then sand the rough edge and that's the end of it? If the needle goes farther, then the shaft makes a much larger opening?
Thanks in advance!

Chrome Dome wrote:

As mentioned earlier most stores with fabric departments sell quilting needles. They come on a card with a plastic 2.5" diameter dial type dispenser that has compartments containing needle sizes 4-12 but for some reason excludes #11.
Hobby/craft stores sell the above packs too, but for even smaller needles you need to look in the
craft section for beading needles.  Hobby Lobby (another national chain - closed on Sundays) sell
Beadsmith cards of 4 needles. One card contains sizes 10-13. Their smallest needle is size 15 which
measures .0085" at the  point. The shaft is .0095". At our store and I guess nationally
these needles are not with the "seed beads" but in the next isle with the beading
accessories as thread and wire.

I use a jewelers (machinests) pin vise to drill with needles and the small drills that Guillermo
discussed. My pin vise is appx 4" long and slightly larger than the diameter of a pencil. At
either end is a one inch long threaded collett which tightens or loosens the oriface. The range of
the smaller end is appx 1/16" to zero. The larger end 1/16" to 1/8".

Warning these needles and drills are extremely fragile!!! Chuch them up so that
only 1mm appx is exposed! Twist the pin vise with your thumb and index finger
to drill. I place the metal on top of a white art eraser as a backing to drill
into.

Mike Atwell