Two points.

1. Panoramic generally means wider than about 3x2

2. A curved back camera will produce a different projection than a cropped down negative from a rectilinear camera. Rectilinear projection spreads out the edges of the frame to preserve straight lines, whereas a curved back camera produces a cylindrical projection which sacrifices straight horizontal lines to keep dimension consistent with distance from the camera.

I have been experimenting with producing 360 degree pinhole pans by shooting a series of wideangle photos then stitching them together using special software, but nothing has quite worked yet.