----- Original Message -----
From: "p g" <crd...@lycos.com>

> Is there a simple formula, for the mathematically challenged, to calculate
the light's angle of projection relative to the plane of an orifice as
diagramed below?
> For the Lenox's Pinhole Competition, the camera is designed with multiple
adaptors to reposition the disc to other locations using 1/2" interior
diameter PVC fittings.
> I want to calculate how far below the 0.585 mm aperture the fitting can
extend without protruding into the image's projection. Using this hardware
the fittings will need to extend 10-12 mm below the disc. Will this work, or
do I need to change the design?

P.G:

Your pinhole, if it is mounted right at the center of the fitting and if the
fitting extend 12mm bellow the pinhole, will project an unobstructed cone of
light of about 90 degrees (93.246 to be more exact).  Will it work or do you
need to change the design?   It will as long as your camera is made with a
focal length not shorter than half the diagonal of the format you are using.
If you need shorter focal length than half the diagonal of the format, just
use a fitting with a larger I.D.

For math challenged, the best is to make a scale diagram on paper.

Forgot the formulas, tell me if you really need them.

Guillermo