The "normal"way to do this is to have some sort of neutral background under/behind the elements in the composition. In lens photography, the usual "trick" is to position the backdrop far enough from the objects that the backdrop is out of focus. Obviously, this isn't going to work with a pinhole. That being the case, you will need to arange for the smoothest possible background, OR a background that is very dark (i.e. light the subject, don't light the background).

Mike Vande Bunt

Mark Andrews wrote:

I am novice pinhole photographer looking for some advice regarding shooting
still life compositions with my 4X5 Pinhole Camera (25mm focal length).

My issue is that I am trying to limit the elements in my composition, but
tend to pick up a significant amount of the surrounding area no mater how
close I am to the still life composition. Is it possible to limit the
surrounding area? I've seen other pinhole still lifes with a limited
composition--perhaps this was accomplished in the darkroom?

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.