--- michael_georg...@trendmicro.com wrote:
..snip..

> So, here I am with many, many boxes of Polaroid 553,
> Polapan ASA100 4x5 pack
> film, and no way to use it (yet).  I can build a
> camera out of any damn
> thing, but a homemade Polaroid back presents a bit
> more of a challenge.
..snip..

I'm not clear on what you've got:
* 4x5 polaroid single sheet film (where each film is
in a separate light tight paper sleeve)-- I think you
could fake a back with this type: you dummy up a back
where you slide the sheet in, the catch catches on
something inside so you can (partly) pull the paper
sleeve out, take your exposure, slide the paper sleeve
back in, release the catch, pull the whole thing out,
and use a rolling pin from the "fat" end to spread out
the chemicals.  I got a back to do this for $40 at the
last camera show I went to.

* 4x5 pack film -- I didn't know they made pack film
in this size, but they apparently do!  This looks like
it would be harder to fabricate -- the pack itself
does most of the work (keeping negative & positive
separate, bringing them together as you pull the tabs
out though the rollers) -- but the rollers need to be
hard, clean, and pretty precise (right size, right
spacing, right tension) to work well, and the places
where the tabs pop out would take some thought to
dummy up.  Some of the cheapie polaroids used
"spreader bars" rather than rollers, and this might be
easier to fabricate -- basically it's two smooth slabs
of metal held almost, but not quite, together with a
heavy spring.  The film is pulled through the bars and
they pop the chemical pod and spread it out...

-- Philip