Well, I've converted several "near-disposable) cameras
(the $1 give-away type 35mm cameras from thrift
stores) by taking them apart, removing the shutter
blade(s) while leaving the shutter button & film
wind/lock mechanism.  I then use black tape (my
favorite) or a home-made cardboard "lens cap" as the
shutter. This allows even spacing of the photos: you
press the shutter botton to allow film advance after
taking a photo.  I've found that many of these cheapo
cameras have quite sturdy film advance mechanisms and
are held together with screws, making this sort of
modification easy.  The shutter mechanisms vary wildly
(and I'm charmed by the little blocks of pot metal
glued into the cameras to give them that "quality
heft") but the modifications have worked well. I've
opened up a few disposable cameras as well, and the
same principle should work, but the shutter and film
advance mechanisms are more fragile and thus a bit
harder to modify.

- P