Sarah,
Look up the work of Sally Mann. She makes wonderful large format photos from
glass plates and old lenses. She started with her children as subject matter and
has moved on to spooky landscapes and "Old South" type photos.
http://www.gregkucera.com/mann.htm
http://www.gregkucera.com/mann.htm
Richard Heather