--- Beau Schwarz <ejschwar...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi! Based on a View Camera article, I've thought about trying D76 as the
> developer for paper negatives. However, in looking at a Kodak Dataguide,
> Dektol will develope 120 sheets of paper while D76 will develope approx. 16
> 8x10 sheets of film. So the question is how many sheets of paper will a
> gallon of D76 develope? How do you tell when the developer is near
> exhaustion?  Or would it be best to use it as a one shot developer?

You should always use developer for your negative as one-shot (unless it is
specifically designed for replenishment).  Whereas you can always make another
print, if you screw up your negative with inadequate chemistry, you're pretty
much out of luck.

> Is there some way of 'taming' dektol, so it gives a less contrasty neg?

Of course, just increase the dilution. I use a dilute version of Dektol (1+10
to 1+20, depending upon the scene) when processing halftone film.

Cheers -

george

=====
Handmade Photographic Images