Hi Jean-Louis,
I will quote from myself. This is something I just sent to Murray. We were
discussing his aerial film that he got on Ebay. He sent me some and I made an
exposure with a newly made film box 5x7 50mm pinhole camera:
http://www.???????/discussion/upload/gallery2002.php?pic=rheathermurysfilm1.jpg

He asked about contrast and I tried to explain the difference between "global
contrast" (the total luminance difference from highlights to shadow) verses
"local
contrast" ( the appearance of exetnded detail within the light and/or dark
areas of
the print):

  " "High contrast" is a double edged sword. We all like to see a brilliant
image
with full tonal range, deep blacks with detail and
bright whites with detail. When you see a print like that you say "high
contrast" as
compared to "flat" or "muddy". However the
job of the film is to record all the available detail and allow a brilliant
print.
High contrast in film often means little latitude for
over and under exposure. Some scenes have a tremendous range in luminance,
bright
sky, dark foreground. For that you need
a film that tolerates heavy exposure. Expose for the shadow detail and curtail
development enough to use the highlights. In
darkroom printing you will then dodge and burn to get an "even" print with the
illusion of high local contrast but actually greatly
contracting the tonal range. This is easily done digitally by selective masking
and
manipulating of tonal range but it is the main
"magic" and "alchemy"  of a darkroom printer. Don't get too obsessive about Zone
system details but try to see the big picture
that you want a usable negative not a perfect one. Most modern film has a
tremendous
latitude to provide a usable image as
long as you don't underexpose."
Richard Heather