Found this on the cameramakers list

Try this: obtain some glass cut to size (this can be from your friendly
glass shop or from picture frames - I get mine at garage sales). Go to
your local auto parts emporium and get a tube of valve grinding compound.
Squirt some between two pieces of glass, and with a circular motion rub
the top sheet of glass over the bottom sheet of glass.  Make sure you get
complete coverage.  If the valve grinding compound starts to dry out,
clean off both plates of glass and squirt in some more compound. Rub for
about 10 minutes, wash off the glass and see if it is "ground" to your
satisfaction.  If not, do some more.