Maybe it was the sticky bubble gum wrapper that kept wrinkling up(?)  :)

I believe I was using Ilford multi-contrast RC paper (a bit thicker than your
well-chosen single weight), hand cut to size.  And I suspect I do hold my mouth
wrong a lot of the time. So any of these may have led to my frequent paper
jams.

Gregg