Along the same lines, I just finished reading
"Vermeer's Camera" by Philip Steadman (Oxford U.
Press, 2001). This is an excellent discussion of the
topic, as it relates to Vermeer. Anyone on the list
interested in the camera obscura, optics, or art in
general would probably find it interesting. It is
clearly written and technical only to the extent
required to make the case (for thoes who like the
technical data, it's all available in extensive
appendices). The thesis is very quietly but
persuasively argued, I think. I have always believed
in the idea of Vermeer having used the camera obscura,
but there is not a shred of doubt in my mind now. The
author successfully uses the geometry of many of the
paintings to recreate the rooms they would have been
painted in. He shows that these rooms are in many
cases identical and that a camera obscura in the
position required to paint them would have projected
an image on the back wall of the room that is exactly
the size of many of the paintings. It's hard to
explain, but very interesting. I highly recommend the
book. There is a companion Web site, but i can't find
the URL at the moment. A search on the author and the
obvious words from the title of the book should locate
it though.

Colin