on 28/11/01 7:44 pm, jmm1...@aol.com at jmm1...@aol.com wrote:

> I did a Search on Google and found that oil of camphor is considered somewhat
> toxic.  Only 11% strength is sold in the States, but 20% strength is sold over
> the counter in Cananda.  Here is the citation:
>
> http://www.cma.ca/cmaj/vol-152/issue-11/1821.htm
>
> I'd be careful in poorly ventilated spaces.
> John McAdam

Hi everyone again

Paraffin for you in the US is paraffin wax as one of you rightly said.
Over here in the UK paraffin is a liquid that used to be used for heaters,
lamps and oil burning egines, and sometimes still is.  Paraffin oil may be
what you would call kerosene (or kerosen para ti Guillermo).  Paraffin oils
have a boiling point in the range of 150 - 300 degrees Centigrade while the
wax has one between 50 and 60 degrees.  Paraffin wax is used for all sorts
of things includeing cheap candles and waxed paper.

Entonces, parafina es kerosen y se debería poder comprar facilmente.

translation, paraffin is kerosene and should be easy to buy

Camphorated oil on the other hand I would suspect is not strictly necessary.
The oil part yes, but the camphor part was probably used as a preservative
as some of you may remember camphor balls or mothball ususally consisting of
napthalene and sometimes, yes you've guessed it, camphor.
Therefore, camphorated oil was probably used as an amplication for preseving
perishable non edible goods in the days of moths.  Now all of this is some
educated conjecture but I hope it is of use to you.  I would think that oil
would be sufficient.

I am just looking up in a dictionary that camphor itself is a whitish,
translucent crystaline, pleasant-smelling terpene ketone, whatever that
means except that most ketones smell nice from what I can remember at
school, used in medicine and in the manufacture of celluloid.  Ah ha!  There
it is, the manufacture of celluloid.  Is that not what one is doing when
applying the camphorated oil to the paper with paraffin?  Probably not.

I hope I haven't confused things too much

hasta luego

Alexis