This of it this way:

If you have a slide projector shining a slide of, say, your family,
up on a wall.  You are seated between the projector and the wall.

If you hold your hand up, between the projector, and the wall,
obviously you see some of the image on your hand.  As you move
your hand away from the projector, only a tiny part of the scene
is reflected on your hand- say, only the face of your uncle Mortimer.

This is analagous to a long focal length, with the subject "zoomed"
in (on just your uncle's face).

Now, walk toward the projector, with your hand up. More and more of the
scene is reflected on your hand as you decrease the distance to the
projector.

Eventually, you hand is only a few inches away from the projector.  What
do you see projected on your hand?  The entire picture of your family.
You have "zoomed out" to wide angle by decreasing the distance.

This is pretty much what is happening in your pinhole camera, only the
pinhole itself is the "projector", shining the scene on the film plane.
If we change the distance of the film plane from the pinhole ( focal
length), we either zoom or zoom out the scene.

Hope this helps...