I've been using a red "party" bulb from the grocery store for about 10 years. You have to check around the base to make sure the red coloring covers completely. I covered the gaps with opaque tape. I've also used orange christmas tree lights. I haven't tried leaving a piece of paper out for 24 hours, but I haven't been all that careful about handling paper under it.

From: "Gordon J. Holtslander" <hol...@duke.usask.ca>

The only one of these that _has_ to be bought from a photo store is the safelight.
The rest can be got from a hardware store.

Nick

Nick Dvoracek                                   dvora...@uwosh.edu
Director of Media Services              Voice: 920-424-7363
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh        Fax:   920-424-7324