I urge you to try using printing paper and a box at some time.
Processing is relatively simple.  Processing your own stuff gives you so
much flexibility.

One doesn't need a proper darkroom for doing this.  Just a room that can
be made dark with water nearby.  3 trays - a piece of glass, a bit larger
than your "negatives", a safelight (a small lamp with a safelight bulb)
and a small desklamp (for making positives by contact printing).  The only
one of these that _has_ to be bought from a photo store is the safelight.
The rest can be got from a hardware store.

Printing paper and chemistry can be bought cheaply from a photo shop, or
even second hand.  I've had lots of stuff given to me, and bought things
second hand.  Pinhole with printing paper can be done very cheaply and
easily.

If you want to try this I (and likely others) would be glad
to offer valuable free advice :)

Gord

<- snip ->