Hi Jeff,

(Comments below)

Tom

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Dilcher" <dilc...@cueva.com>
To: <pinhole-discussion@p at ???????>
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2001 12:42 PM
Subject: [pinhole-discussion] Finney observations (was My "personal
day" off from work...)

> My only problem with the Finney is this:
>
> In the past, when using a Leonardo camera, I always could visualize
what
> portions of my scene would be in the final negative by lining up my
vision
> down "guidelines", which were traced on the camerabody from the
negative
> corners, down to the pinhole.
>
> Obviously, with an extendable bellows camera, lines can't be traced
on the
> camera (nor would I want to on a Finney!), so, my question is, how
are
> Finney users lining up what will be on the final image when they are
> making a photograph? Guesswork?

I put one finger on the middle of the "lensboard" and another finger
on the edge of the film plane and look down the imaginary line.  Kinda
rough, but it gives an OK idea of what will be in the image.  I've
thought of using rubber bands as guidelines, but just don't have the
heart to pound or screw things into the Finney.

> The ground glass viewing plate is dissapointing except, maybe, for
> decoration.  From my initial observations, it would appear that you
would
> have to have a dark cloth wrapped tightly in order to utilize it as
an aid
> in composition.

You do need a dark cloth wrapper completely around the camera: NO
LIGHT can get throught.  I've only done this two or three times; using
imaginary lines works well in most cases.