As far as zone plate or pinhole, that's a preference call for you. I only have the pinhole.

But I did want to comment further that the Zero pinholes are very accurate and produce very sharp images. You'll get a sharp image each time (discounting hand-held or other factors). While I really like the Zero camera (mostly for travel), I prefer making my own cameras out of various materials, cans or boxes - and my own pinholes. This allows me to control how sharp or fuzzy I want an image.

If you want to learn about photography in general and specifically pinhole photography, nothing will teach you faster than making a camera out of a box or can, making a pinhole, and then exposing, processing, and contact printing photographic paper.

But, if you want to own a well crafted pinhole camera and not interested in the learning part, you can't beat the Zero cameras.

And, of course, you can do both at the same time.

(my 2 cents),

Gregg