davidedmundson created this revision.
Herald added a project: Plasma.
davidedmundson requested review of this revision.

REVISION SUMMARY
  This brings numerous advantages such as:

  - easier admin configuration with drop-ins, overrides a

  nd multiple hooks throughout (and only having to learn one tool)

  - session cleanup on exit, avoiding that occasional part where shutdown

  hangs

  - startup that actually knows when things are up
  - race free autostart and DBus activation at once
  - logs that rotate are split by service and usable
  - resource management through slices and cgroups (the part I want)

  Over the past 2 years I've been trying to tidy up and encapsulate the
  relevant parts of startup into the binary plasma-session so that we can
  just runtime swap out that one part and supporting both paths will be
  easy.

  Support is toggleable via cmake flag, as it seems like it should be a
  distro decision, especially as we will require a specific systemd with
  the xdg-generator.

  KDED/kwin/other services are attached to the relevant repo.

  It is WIP as:

  - it requires unmerged generator for regular autostart files
  - There are outstanding tasks, see below

  Task T11914 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T11914>

  Uploaded to get more people on board and also because merging master
  into a feature branch is becoming really annoying.

  Given it's cmake guarded, I'm also up for merging before completion if
  others are happy?

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace

BRANCH
  master

AFFECTED FILES
  CMakeLists.txt
  config-workspace.h.cmake
  krunner/CMakeLists.txt
  krunner/dbus/org.kde.krunner.service.in
  krunner/krunner.service.cmake
  ksmserver/CMakeLists.txt
  ksmserver/ksmserver.service.cmake
  ksmserver/server.cpp
  login-sessions/plasmawayland-dev.desktop.cmake
  login-sessions/plasmawayland.desktop.cmake
  login-sessions/startplasma-dev.sh.cmake
  shell/CMakeLists.txt
  shell/org.kde.plasmashell.desktop.cmake
  shell/plasmashell.service.cmake
  startkde/CMakeLists.txt
  startkde/kcminit/CMakeLists.txt
  startkde/kcminit/kcminit-phase1.service.cmake
  startkde/kcminit/kcminit.service.cmake
  startkde/ksplash-ready.service.cmake
  startkde/plasma-core.target
  startkde/plasma-workspace.target
  startkde/startplasma.cpp

To: davidedmundson
Cc: plasma-devel, Orage, LeGast00n, The-Feren-OS-Dev, cblack, jraleigh, zachus,
fbampaloukas, GB_2, ragreen, ZrenBot, ngraham, himcesjf, lesliezhai,
ali-mohamed, jensreuterberg, abetts, sebas, apol, ahiemstra, mart