On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 12:46 PM Mikhail Zolotukhin <zom...@protonmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am the de facto maintainer of the kde-gtk-config repository. As of now
> the name of this repository on GitLab is "KDE GTK Configurator" and the
> description is "Syncs KDE settings to GTK applications". I think there
> could be a better name and a description for the project. Current one has a
> couple of issues:
>
> 1. Current repository name itself does not show the purpose of the things,
> that it contains. Why it exists? What problem it actually solves?
> 2. The description is not accurate. It's not only about syncing some kde
> (maybe Plasma?) settings to GTK. It also provides a way to set a GTK theme
> in Plasma.
> 3. The name does not show its relation to Plasma and the fact, that that
> "Configurator" only works in that desktop envinroment.
>
> Actually the code's job in that repository is providing a smooth
> experience for GTK applications in Plasma, so that they looks more native,
> in other words it integrates GTK into Plasma.
>
> Given all of that I think the better name for the repository would be
> "plasma-gtk-integration", On GitLab it could be called "Plasma GTK
> Integration" with the description "Components necessary to integrate GTK
> applications into the Plasma Desktop".
>
> The name is good.

> What do people think of that change? Does anyone have any suggestions to
> improve the renaming?

Changing the repo implies changing the release tarball name.

Distributions won't like that, it's making a lot of work for them. They'll
have to rewrite packaging and add migratory steps based on previous
installs and update various metapackages.
That's fine if it's a valid useful fix that affect end users, but we
shouldn't do it without good reason.

Something to factor in when weighing up pros and cons.
Please message kde-distro-packag...@kde.org before committing to anything.

David