On Sunday, November 5, 2023 6:01:38 PM CET Nate Graham wrote:
> On 11/5/23 07:42, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > I was clumsily advocating for this Akademy 2021 or 2022 (can't remember
> > which).
> >
> > This way it's clearer to application authors when they tie themselves to a
> > given workspace or not.
> >
> > Also, isn't Elisa able to work without Baloo? It even seems to do the
> > right
> > thing if I trust its CMakeLists.txt. It has Baloo as a recommended but
> > optional dependency, and disable it altogether for Win32 builds.
>
> Yes, Elisa also includes an internal indexer, for use on Windows and
> Android, or on *Nix when Baloo isn't installed or is disabled.
>
> I think the original idea for the app was to delegate all the indexing
> heavy lifting to Baloo to avoid internal complication, but clearly this
> has not worked out in practice, since to be truly cross-platform, it
> can't assume that Baloo is present and active and does need its own
> indexer. So maybe the best course of action is actually to remove Baloo
> support entirely and always use the internal indexer, so that we don't
> have two different code paths.
>
> Nate

I do not belive this is a good idea. Mostly because it means we would then
have an indexer in Baloo and one indexer in Elisa running at the same time and
doing something similar which is wasteful. It becomes even more of an issue
when other apps like Peruse or Arianna start doing the same and use their own
indexer instead of Baloo on Plasma.

This defeat the point of having a general purpose indexer in Plasma.

Cheers,
Carl