From: mvourla...@gmail.com
Sent: 3 July 2018 5:36 pm
To: plasma-devel@kde.org
Reply to: plasma-devel@kde.org
Subject: Discussion for Virtual Desktops and Activities future

A discussion started by me at: https://phabricator.kde.org/D13745 about concerns related to future Activities / Virtual Desktops merge (I will call it MERGE in the future). As proposed the discussion can be moved here.

In my opinion having a concrete draft how things are going to work from a user point view it might bring design issues that can be solved earlier than later. My opinion in the matter can be found at: https://psifidotos.blogspot.com/2012/03/activities-and-workareas-draft.html

1. I think that the previous draft can be used in order to identify any users workflow breakage from MERGE.
2. A new draft describing MERGE from a user point of view should be created in order for everyone (plama team and VDG) to understand what they are trying to create.

By reading comments I identified a internal decision in order for MERGE to be based more in Activites infrastructure  for Plasma product and to VDs infrastructure for KWin product. I would propose to forget the technical approach and focus more on the user point of view. This could help avoid the VDs/Activities debate that started in Plasma 4/5 era and it is still present at a smaller degree.

I will start with one concern based on the comments I read even though it would be better for everyone to describe first what is expecting from the MERGE.

Concern [A]

If MERGE creates a new Activity each time the user needs more space for its windows, doesnt that break totally the VDs users workflow?

Example: I am working on my current actitivity and I am writing a note in a plasma widget. I am creating a new Activity, should that Activity look the same as the previous one and if I change the note in the first should it look the same and in the second? (at this example a current VDs user would answer should be in sync and always the same, a current
Activity user would answer it doesnt matter, it is unrelated)