On 8/22/19 11:35 PM, Ed Merks wrote:
Guys,

Keep in mind that you might not actually want to turn this mailing list into a user question and answer mailing list; you'd probably want a separate one for that purpose.

But take note that it's super easy to set up a feed monitor for the forum(s), which are actively used, even if so few of you monitor them:

It's configured like this for Thunderbird:

In the end, monitoring this or a mailing list (that you'd likely want to filter into folder so you can manage your inbox effectively) is really not so entirely different. Perhaps this ought to be more a question of what's actually best for the people asking the questions rather than what's preferred by the people who might or might not choose to answer them.

Also note that many questions are of course directed to the Newcomers forum because users don't generally know where to go to ask questions. Nitin and I are effectively the only people (committers) who answer questions there, most often to direct people to the right forum, though I would never direct people to the Platform forum because I know it's generally not well monitored; if there is to be an answer there, it will likely come from me, so rather pointless to redirect people there.

This was really helpful, thanks! I'm going to integrate this into my workflow, especially now that I know I can see the incoming posts via Thunderbird.

--
Eric Williams
Software Engineer - Eclipse/SWT Team