Hi,

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 2:13 PM Meik Piepmeyer <meik.piepme...@aeb.com>
wrote:

> I stumbled upon the presentation of parallel builds in Eclipse at the
> EclipseCon 2018 from Mickael Istria:
>
> https://de.slideshare.net/mickaelistria/parallel-builds-in-eclipse-ide-workspace-eclispecon-europe-2018

As additional resource, I suggest you watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2yZB6-WrkI&list=PLy7t4z5SYNaQ82WyePL05PFwqNmfTxhwD&index=42&t=0s
where you have the explanation on top of the slides.

Until now I had no success in seeing parallel builds. We invoke the Java
> and the Maven builder and the test plugin gives me a Gantt diagram, but
> there are no parallel builds at all, just the regular sequential build
> process. I think the test plugin works if automatic builds are disabled
> only. its the only situation where I’m getting the diagram file.

I don't remember much about the test plugin to be honest, but indeed, I
believe it only monitors full build, not automatic/increment.

> Is the “default building order” necessary for the test plugin or am I
> wrong?

You're right, see
https://git.eclipse.org/c/platform/eclipse.platform.resources.git/tree/bundles/org.eclipse.core.resources/src/org/eclipse/core/internal/resources/Workspace.java#n435:
`buildParallel = ... && workspace.getBuildOrder() == null`

> Can I get any meaningful logs from Eclipse itself and/or the test plugin?
> The file ".metadata/.log" is a way too shy I think.

You can set the debug options defined in
org.eclipse.core.internal.utils.Policy with the usual -debug settings (
https://help.eclipse.org/2019-09/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.user%2Ftasks%2Frunning_eclipse.htm&cp=0_3_0
)

I do not find much information about parallel builds at all, so I may
> overlook something.

The video of the presentation is the 2nd best documentation; and the source
code is the very best documentation ;)

HTH

--
Mickael Istria