For general Q&A you might better use the discussions here:

https://github.com/eclipse-platform/.github/discussions

this question is only loosely related to platform development.

In general Git has the concept of remotes and you have a local copy, so YES this will destroy everything on your github account and make it as you have nothing changed.

That's how you you go:

0) make a backup of your local data (!)
1) create a new branch of your local changes e.g. name it BACKUP_ISSUE_xyz
2) push the branch to your fork, use the UI to check if all your valuable work is there! 3) change to the master branch in the UI and sync it with the forked repo so you are up to date. 4) now in your local copy change to the master and reset it to the state of the remote (don't push anything!)
5) create a new branch from master e.g. issue_xyz
6) now merge with squash option your local BACKUP_ISSUE_xyz branch or copy files from the backup in step (0) 7) commit and push the new branch and you should have a clean state now to start from again.