On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 23:22:39 -0400, Jeffrey Johnson wrote:

> You do realize that RPM5 embeds libgit2 sufficiently well to perform
> a commit that git(1) understands?

No... any docs? examples? How to use it? Can't find anything except
rpmgitdebug, nothing appropriate in iosm, so I'm assuming this
particular usage scenario is possible, but not yet available, is it?

> Discusssing Newer! Better! Bestest!
> %config handling, with (.rpmnew/.rpmorig/.rpmsave) handling is
> so so so last century ...

Indeed it is. I'm tired of handling all of this manually.

With monotonically increasing versions of packages installed (i.e. only
upgrades, no downgrades), this should be relatively simple:
- keep some branch for original %configs (.rpmnew ones),
- keep master branch for user-modified %configs (.rpmorig and .rpmsave),
- try to git-merge changes on update (which would often fail, especially
  when updating very old package with multiple changes along the way -
  such files might be left for manual git merge/resolve).

To properly support downgrades, rebase is needed to insert a file
between older and newer one, and some tags to distinguish version.

BTW, referring to the main subject:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/rpm-list/2003-May/msg00426.html

--
Tomasz Pala <go...@pld-linux.org>