On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 13:25:16 +0100, Jacek Konieczny wrote:

> I suggest patching python, python3 and, if neccessary, other packages,
> so distutils/setuptools/pip would install Python modules to /usr/local
> by default ??? like autoconf configure scripts do. Python would look for
> modues in /usr/local first and then in /usr.

If any tool installs anything with /usr prefix, not /usr/local, this
should be considered as a bug and reported upstream. FHS clearly states
that /usr/local should be used, so go ahead with this approach.

> 3. No existing python-*.spec would build any more.
>
> All python specs would need to be updated to force proper instalation
> directories. I would prepare %setup_py2 and %setup_py3. Those would use
> proper python interpreter and compiler flags too.

Can't this be accomplished by detecting some environment variables?

> What do you think?

I'm really tired of not having the ability to run some code just because
there is no PLD package (and no point in creating one, there are dozens
of perl/python/ruby modules) and I already have some other installed
from rpms.

--
Tomasz Pala <go...@pld-linux.org>