On 2006-10-31 23:09-0500 Hazen Babcock wrote:

> On Oct 31, 2006, at 4:31 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>
>> On 2006-10-30 21:58-0800 Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>>
>> Hazen, could you see if this set of changes completely solves the
>> Mac OS X
>> release blocker (Tcl/Tk problems)?

> Thanks! This builds and passed all the build-tree tests (using
> ctest).

That's encouraging progress.  Could you give the exact gcc command that was
used to build libplplottcltk?  (That command should be given as part of the
results from your make command.) The gcc command used to build
libplplottcltk successfully will help to figure out how to link to
libplplottcltk as in the xtk01.c example below.

> I haven't been able to test the buttons yet. When I try to
> run an example with the tk device I get:
>
> plFindCommand: cannot locate command: plserver
> bin dir="/usr/local/bin"
>
> *** PLPLOT ERROR ***
> Unable to fork server process
> Program aborted
>
> Which is perhaps strange since I can run plserver myself with no
> problem.

I think there is a way to run one of the build-tree examples using -dev tk,
but I think there are some environment variables you have to set to help
find things in the build tree such as the build-tree plserver executable.
Maurice, can you comment?

However, it is much easier to run the installed examples because everything
is stored in known standard places (relative to the install prefix).
Below, you are having trouble with some specific Tk example compilations, but
you don't need those to run -dev tk.  Simply, cd to the installed examples/c
directory, type "make" to build everything, and then run one of those
examples with -dev tk.

> I still can't compile the install tree examples.

Actually that appears to be just one examples directory (examples/tk) that
you cannot build.  You can compile individual installed examples directories
(such as examples/c or examples/c++ directory) by typing "make" from
inside them.  That should allow you to run plplot-test.sh since examples/tk
is not tested by that script.

That said, examples/tk should be made to build correctly so read on....

> iMac /usr/local/share/plplot5.6.1/examples : sudo make
> Making all in tk
> /usr/bin/gcc xtk01.c -o xtk01  `PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/
> pkgconfig pkg-config --cflags --libs plplotd-tcl`
> /usr/bin/ld: can't map file: /System/Library/Frameworks/tcl.framework
> ((os/kern) invalid argument)
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[1]: *** [xtk01] Error 1
>

> iMac /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig : more plplotd-tcl.pc
> libdir=/usr/local/lib
> includedir=/usr/local/include/plplot
> drvdir=/usr/local/lib/plplot5.6.1/driversd
>
> Name: PLplot Tcl/Tk
> precision)
> Requires: plplotd
> Version: 5.6.1
> Libs: -L${libdir} -lplplottcltkd -ltclmatrixd /System/Library/
> Frameworks/tcl.framework /System/Library/Frameworks/tk.framewo
> rk -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lSM -lICE /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.dylib /usr/X11R6/
> lib/libXext.dylib
> Cflags: -I${includedir} -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/
> Headers -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Headers
> -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/include

Hazen, just to be clear about the actual pkg-config result, could you give
us the result of

PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/ \
pkgconfig pkg-config --cflags --libs plplotd-tcl

?

That should give you the (almost complete) command used to compile xtk01.c
above.

You or Per should then try that (detailed) complete command by hand and
modify it to see what needs to be changed to build xtk01.c properly.  We
have complete control over what is on the Libs: and Cflags: lines above
which in turn control the output from the above pkg-config command so any
modification you deem necessary should be straightforward to implement for
the Mac OS X platform.

Finally, Hazen, sorry to keep nagging you about your install prefix, but it
is an important point so that is why I am doing it.  You are using the
default install prefix of /usr/local above.  That is difficult to completely
remove since the chances are good there is important stuff from other
packages there.  If you don't remove the entire PLplot install tree, that
allows the possibility of stale (and probably incorrect) results to be
screwing up your installed examples tests and thus introduces uncertainty
about your reported results.  So _please_ always specify a unique install
prefix (such as /usr/local/plplot).  Also, always completely remove the
install tree before each fresh build to insure a clean install and more
reliable install-tree test results.

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project