Geoffrey, your assumption is incorrect. As I have made clear from the first
(and also in a recent post to this list), autotools will be deprecated
(since nobody has stepped forward to support it any more) but available
(including configure and plplot_libtool) in the tarball to ease the
transition to our CBS.

That said, since you and Maurice appear to be PLplot developers who intend
to continue to use autotools for a while, I am going to rely on you to test
our development releases to make sure that no autotools-related problems
inadvertently creep in.

Also, there are disadvantages for Lightspeed (or anyone else) to adopt our
CBS either too early or too late. Some factors that should influence that
judgement call about the adoption timing should be at least the following:

* There are obvious advantages to waiting while you let early adopters find
all but the most obscure bugs.  Note, PLplot users tend to be early adopters
with lots of downloads of development releases so I think our planned series
of development releases should be enough to get rid of all but the most
obscure bugs in our CBS.

* Our CBS requires CMake to be installed on user's systems.  Thus, there are
advantages to delaying adoption until CMake is at least widely deployed on
Linux distributions. However, that should not be too long now; Debian
testing already has cmake-2.4.3 (the version what we require).  Also, if you
check the archives of the CMake mailing list, it is clear a large number of
open-source projects are converting to CMake as I write this. Thus, the
pressure will be strong for all distributions to follow Debian's lead if
they haven't done so already.

* The transition from our ABS to our CBS is actually not that difficult. I
would be extremely surprised if it took a moderately experienced PLplot
developer (i.e., one who has used our downloads before) more than a day
(assuming they follow the steps what we suggest in the PLplot wiki).  Those
with more experience with PLplot should take substantially less than a day.

* There are substantial developer advantages to our CBS (a configuration
system that is easier to understand, maintain, and extend than our ABS).

* Bit-rot will eventually creep into our ABS unless some developer with a
strong need for it steps forward to maintain it.  Also, as PLplot keeps
getting extended with CBS, none of this new development will be accessible
with our ABS.

* There are substantial advantages to our CBS for both users and developers
(faster configuration as well as the availability of our CBS for the large
variety of different windows platforms).

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project