On 2006-11-12 18:45-0800 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> [...]Also, you might want to look at your area-fill functionality
> (which is used a lot for example 8).  Area fills are not particularly well
> suited for vector operations so some optimization care may be needed for
> your area fills for this vector device.

This probably isn't the reason why the rendering of example 8 is so much
slower than example 1.  I took a quick look at the code and the difference
between unfilled and filled is apparently only a matter of setting the fill
color.  Thus, I guess the renderer is expected to do the filling with its
own algorithm, and the svg.c device driver simply specifies the polygons
that need to be filled by the renderer application.  So I presume svg.c has
no control over the efficiency of the renderer area filling algorithm unless
the number of points describing the polygons are much higher than they
really need to be.

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project