On 2006-12-08 18:13+0100 Werner Smekal wrote:

> Hi Hazen,
>
>> I believe that the current interface was a joint effort between Doug  Hunt
>> and Rafael and that Doug is still maintaining the Perl/PDL  interface on
>> behalf of the PDL project. There is an ActiveState PDL  package, though it
>> seems a bit old. Has anyone tried to use that in  combination with PLplot
>> and PDL::Graphics::PLplot on Windows?
>
> I installed ActiveState Perl and the the PDL package, but have no idea how to
> test how PDL/Perl and plplot come together. My efforts here were not because
> I need this configuration, I just thought it's as easy as the python and java
> bindings, so I gave it a try.

I just committed a change so that ctest actually tested the Perl/PDL
interface.  To use this set ENABLE_pdl=ON and BUILD_TEST=ON. The result (for
CVS HEAD) is that the examples in the examples/perl directory are run using
the pre-installed Perl/PDL/PLplot interface.  Here are the results on my
Debian stable system:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ctest --verbose --tests-regex perl
Start processing tests
Test project /home/software/plplot_cvs/HEAD/build_dir
Constructing a list of tests
Done constructing a list of tests
Changing directory into /home/software/plplot_cvs/HEAD/build_dir/test
   7/  7 Testing examples_perl
Test command: /bin/bash -c
EXAMPLES_DIR=/home/software/plplot_cvs/HEAD/build_dir/examples\
SRC_EXAMPLES_DIR=/home/software/plplot_cvs/HEAD/plplot_cmake/examples\
PLPLOT_LIB=/home/software/plplot_cvs/HEAD/plplot_cmake/data/\ ./plplot-test.sh\
--front-end=perl
Testing front-end perl
PLplot library version: 5.3.1
Can't open pnm fileconverter error:  at /usr/lib/perl5/PDL/IO/Pnm.pm line 77
-- Process completed
    Passed

The following tests passed:
         examples_perl

100% tests passed, 0 tests failed out of 1

I got rid of that fileconverter error by excluding example 20.  Apparently,
it is having trouble finding lena.pgm.

Note the ancient library version.  That's because libplplot is a dependency
of the Perl/PDL PLplot interface so Debian stable installed its (ancient)
system version of libplplot to satisfy that dependency.

Werner, please give this a try again.  I am most interested whether your
new experiment finds the PLplot interface in ActiveState Perl/PDL.

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project