I tried CMake-2.4.6 on my Debian stable system, and it appears to work as
well as 2.4.5. I suggest you try 2.4.6 for yourselves to make sure it is
fine on all platforms.  We don't want to get caught by surprise by some
introduced platform incompatibility in 2.4.6 since that version is now the
only advertised 2.4.x download available for new CMake users.

However, I plan to leave the minimum version at 2.4.5 because I don't see
any compelling new feature in 2.4.6 (such as one that will remove cmake
bug workarounds for us).

Just to review, those key workarounds are still the following:

(1) "make package" still does not work so we still must use the "make
     install DESTDIR=whatever" command followed by the appropriate tar or zip
     command to make a binary package.

(2) We still must continue to include Arjen's Windows-df.cmake and
     Windows-f90.cmake modules in cmake/modules/Platform since they have not
     been accepted (for unknown reasons) in 2.4.6.

(3) We must replace " use " by " use_" for all f77 comment lines in bindings
     and examples because CMake has a bug which parses those comment lines
     for "use" commands to determine module dependencies.  This is cmake bug
     3109.

(4) We must create a file with arbitrary contents called plplot.mod.proxy in
     the top-level directory to satisfy a cmake issue which completely screws
     up fortran 95 module dependencies even when there are no "use" commands
     being improperly parsed from fixed-form comments. This is cmake bug
     3984.

I plan to follow up on (1) so that the trivial fix (using make install with
DESTDIR internally in cmake) will be in the next version of cmake, and I
hope Arjen does the same for issue (2).

Arjen was actually involved in the final decision about how issue (3) (bug
3109) should be fixed, but something went awry with the one-line change (the
parser went into an infinite loop according to the CMake developer) so he
gave up. Arjen, would you be willing to re-ignite this issue with a test to
see why the one-line fix did not work?  It would be great to get this
resolved since I would like to see those ugly forced changes in the comment
lines removed.

Andrew (Ross) tells me that issue (4) (bug 3984) is actually going to be
quite complicated to fix so it may be a while before we can do away with
that workaround.  But getting rid of the first three workarounds in the next
release of CMake would be a most worthwhile goal.

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project