Hi Werner.  Thanks for creating the conversion cookbook.

On 2007-01-13 00:19+0100 Werner Smekal wrote:

> I ran through the source forge documentation about the cvs to svn
> conversions and I tested practically all steps. I made a copy of the
> whole repository, converted it, and uploaded it to my server, but
> stopped the import since it just took too long (it finished 256
> revisions of 7586) - you can see this historic plplot revision here:
> http://svn.miscdebris.net/plplot/trunk/plplot/ .

That's already an interesting result.  Just have a look at what is (not) in
bindings to get a feel for what PLplot was like in that early (4.99c) era.

Is this long "import" process the step that takes so long in the official
SourceForge process?  They mention 24-hours or more to complete the task.

> Anyway, below you'll find the cookbock for this process. Rather straight
> forward. We also need to agree, when to do it and how. My proposal would
> be to do it after the next release. Nobody should commit than something
> for some days, until it is imported into the sf-svn repository and
> tested/compared. If the conversion was done satisfactorily we should
> than use svn exclusively.
>
> What do you think about that?

Before we do the conversion to subversion at SourceForge, I think we should
at least provide an opportunity for PLplot developers to get familiar with
svn. Could you (or somebody else) make a complete test PLplot subversion
repository available for us to play with? Alternatively, could you add
instructions (probably about the exact "import" step that must be done) to
your cookbook about how each of us could set up our own local test PLplot
subversion repository?

Some of the tests I would like to do for such a test repository are whether
we could reproduce a number of our historical source releases and our
complete historical ChangeLog (currently created by cvs2cl from our CVS
repository) from a test subversion repository. I think such tests are
essential because I have already had one bad experience with our current CVS
repository; it turned out to be completely broken for branches until a lot
of maintainence (re-deleting a whole bunch of files which kept "rising from
the dead") was done.  So there still may be something non-standard in our
CVS that will cause the conversion process to give bad results for some
epochs.  Reproduction of some of our historical tarball releases and our
complete ChangeLog would help to satisfy me on this issue.

In answer to your question, I think we should go ahead with the "conversion
to subversion", but only after the next stable release (i.e., 5.8.0).  That
gives the current shakedown process for our new CBS (i.e., the current
on-going set of 5.7.x development releases) time to complete without
interference from a repository format switch.  If there is a well-known
deadline for the conversion after the 5.8.0 release, that should give plenty
of lead time (see below) for our developers to play with subversion and do
all the tests that they think our necessary.  Furthermore, if we do the
conversion post-5.8.0, then that allows us to use the 5.9.x development
cycle in part for working out any script issues (remember, many of our
release scripts currently depend on cvs).

By the way, I am not sure when 5.8.0 will be happening, but my best guess is
probably something like 4-6 months from now.  For the forthcoming 5.7.2
development release we are going to deploy something entirely new (binary
releases for windows users), and presumably it will take us a while to
respond to feedback from our windows users on those releases and any
additional CBS and code issues they might find.  So I wouldn't be surprised
if we need at least a 5.7.3 development release (both source and binary) and
probably a release candidate release for 5.8.0 before we finally go ahead
with 5.8.0 final.

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project